These subject guides were prepared by Dr. Randall Burkett, former Curator for African American Collections. To search across the entirety of collections, please use the EmoryFindingAids database for manuscript collections, and the discoverE catalog for published materials.
- The Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), is a nonsectarian, interfaith, advocacy organization committed to nonviolent action to achieve social, economic, and political justice.
- Vincent Harding, founder of the Institute of the Black World
- Doris A. Derby, one of the founders of the Free Southern Theater
- Constance W. Curry, a leader in the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee
This area highlights the world of literature created by and for the African American community. The Rose Library collects books, pamphlets, broadsides, periodicals, sheet music, and print ephemera.
- Poets James Weldon Johnson and Langston Hughes
- Writers John Oliver Killens and Alice Walker
- Musicians William L. Dawson and George Walker
- Artist/scholar/collectors Camille Billops and James V. Hatch
Additional information on Rose Library's featured collections of African American Art and Art History can be found here.
African Americans in Sports represents a new and exciting focus for the Rose Library, and promises to bring new energy and enthusiasm to the Emory University campus. To the surprise of most knowledgeable scholars and historians, former professional and amateur African American athletes—especially those who lived during the first half of the twentieth century—have papers worth collecting, preserving and studying. The complex meanings associated with the success and achievements of African Americans in sports, which has been recognized as the result of a lack of opportunities in other endeavors, are directly related to issues of social mobility, economic stability and political will. Individuals, whose lives and careers intersect with significant national and global historical moments are deserving of scholarly research and examination.
- Clyde Partin, Sr., a collection of sports related materials
- African Americans Sports Collection
- Robert Langmuir African American Photograph Collection
- Atlanta Black Crackers oral history interviews
- Richard A. Cecil Collection related to the Atlanta Braves and Baseball Hall of Famer Hank Aaron