The Schuchard Prize was established through the Betsy and Wayne Rackoff Fund and named in honor of Dr. Wayne Rackoff's (75C) archival mentor, Ronald Schuchard, Goodrich C. White Professor Emeritus of English.
The Schuchard Prize will award $1000 to one student each academic year for the best paper, project, or honor's thesis created on the basis of primary source material related to a class or course of study in the Department of English only, and $500 for an honorable mention. First-year students are encouraged to apply!
The annual line application period is from February 1st to April 1st.
To be eligible to win, applicants must:
- be current Emory College undergraduates at any class leval and in any discipline (humanities, social sciences, or sciences);
- have completed their research project in the form of a paper, digital project, performance, or poster since March 1 of the preceding year;
- allow library staff to display their research project for public viewing following receipt of the Rackoff Prize.
An evaluation panel comprised of Emory University faculty, librarians, and community partners will focus primarily on evidence of the applicant's research strategy, process, and personal learning, as summarized in an essay. Expectations for achievement will be commensurate with the applicant's class year and the requirements of the discipline. See more on award criteria below.
Applications will be submitted through the Submittable website and must include the following elements.
- A cover letter.
- A letter of support from the supervising faculty member, librarian, or archivist who is familiar with your project. Individual faculty members may nominate up to three students for this award.
- A 500-750 word essay describing your research strategies and use of library tools and resources.
- A final version of the research project, which may be in the form of a paper, digital project, performance footage or images, or a poster.
For more information, please contact Christeene Alcosiba, Manger of Operations and Public Programming, at email@example.com.