This assignment requires students to create take a poem or short story and create a mock-critical edition of the text. The critical edition will include an annotated copy of the text, relevant archival documents, and citations, annotations and excerpts from five critical articles or chapters. Students will also write an introduction to their critical edition.
After this assignment students will be able to
- conduct archival research
- read library catalogue and finding aid information
- practice appropriate care and handling of archival materials
- use primary and secondary sources to provide insight into the literary text
- identify and write within given genre conventions
In order to make the most of your time during your Rose Library Session, please be sure to prepare your students in advance.
- Instructor should provide a clear goal of what students should accomplish during the session
- Prior to the session, students should understand what they are looking for while examining the materials
- Students should have a clear sense of what they need to know about an object to complete the assignment successfully
Here’s what you can expect during your class session:
- Recommended: a class visit by Rose Library staff to teach students how to locate and request appropriate materials in our collections through an interactive workshop session. We recommend scheduling this prior to the Rose Library session.
- Rose Library session will be a group work session.
Relevant collections will vary with course topics. Please consult with Rose Library staff to determine how our materials can best serve your course goals. Authors' papers, the Rare Book collection, and the Danowski Poetry Library will be particularly useful for this assignment. Additional materials from relevant historical collections may also be useful. Some particularly well-suited collections are:
To cite this page:
Early, Shanna. "Critical Edition Assignment," Rose Library Teaching with Archives Portal, [date of access], http://rose.library.emory.edu/instruction/portal/assignments/critical-edition.html.Please cite this portal and give credit to the creator when using this assignment.